October 16th, 2008
The Public Health Advocacy Institute held its Fifth Conference on Public Health, Law, and Obesity on September 19-21, 2008. It was entitled “A Time for Action: An Obesity Agenda for the Next Administration” and was co-sponsored by Public Health Law and Policy.
Many of the speakers have permitted us to release the slides they presented to the conference attendees. In the list of panel topics and speakers below, click on the links to that speaker’s slides. Note that you must have a “PDF” reader in order to view these slides.
Overview of the Public Health/Nutrition Picture:
- Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH – NYU Dep’t Nutrition, Food Studies & Public Health [slides-12mb]
Overview of the Legal and Policy Picture:
- Marice Ashe, JD, MPH – Public Health Law and Policy [slides-3mb]
Overview of Important Disparity Issues:
Presidential Candidates’ Statements on Obesity and Discussion
- Mark Gottlieb, JD – Public Health Advocacy Institute [slides]
Economic and Social Aspects of Dietary Behavior: Discussion of adjusting social norms about food choice and consumption through changing cultural norms, and pricing strategies.
- Jamie Chriqui, PhD – University of Illinois at Chicago [slides -1mb]
- Michel Chauliac, MD – French Ministry of Health [slides]
- Kathryn Henderson, PhD – Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, Yale Univ. [slides]
- Jason Smith, JD, MTS – University of Connecticut, School of Medicine [slides]
Federal Food/Nutrition Initiatives and Implications for Food Reform: Discussion of the recently reauthorized Farm Bill, including strategies to adjust the NSLP and implementation and future reauthorizations to address the obesity. Included will be a Q&A on nutrition standards and food system options.
- Kenneth Hecht, JD – California Food Policy Advocates
- Susan Roberts, JD, MS, RD – Food and Society Policy Fellows Program [slides]
- James Weill, JD – Food Research & Action Center [slides]
Marketing: Examination of food marketing and potential regulatory strategies both in the US and abroad.
- Kathy Baylis, PhD – University of Illinois at Chicago [slides]
- Amandine Garde, PhD – Centre of European Legal Studies, University of Exeter [slides-13mb]
- Neville Rigby – International Obesity Task Force, London [slides-1mb]
- Emily York – Advertising Age [slides]
Menu Labeling: Effective Menu Labeling Strategies from both the East and West Coast.
- Jane McKenzie, JD – Prosecutor’s Office, King County, WA [slides]
- Lynn Silver, MD – New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Paul Simon, MD, MPH – Los Angeles County Department of Public Health [slides]
Physical Activity and the Transportation Bill Reauthorization: Policy issues and solutions to increasing physical activity in children and adults through transportation policy, zoning, school policy adjustments, and regulation.
- Angie Cradock, ScD – Harvard School of Public Health
Policy Implications of Childhood and Adult Obesity: Allocating policy focus between childhood and adult obesity.
- Lori Dorfman, DrPH – Berkeley Media Studies Group [slides]
- David Ludwig, PhD, MD – Children’s Hospital Boston [slides-1mb]
- Kevin Ryan, JD, MA – Arkansas Center for Health Improvement